Things To Do
Baked Bean and Sausage CasseroleThings To Do
posted February 2nd 2019
With the weather being so cold outside, we’ve been cooking lots of hearty meals to keep us warm and full on these winter days.
This recipe is a firm favourite with our grandchildren – who doesn’t love sausage and beans?
Here’s all the info:
1 large tin of baked beans, preferably with reduced sugar and salt
1 large onion
1 large carrot
1 litre of vegetable stock
50 ml of vegetable oil
1 tbsp of English mustard
1 bay leaf
4 tbsp of chopped parsley
1. Chop the carrots and onions into 2cm cubes – you could introduce older grandchildren to basic knife skills here by getting them to chop the carrots with a blunt knife, just make sure to supervise them!
2. Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat and fry the sausages until they are golden brown all over.
3. Add the vegetables to the pan and fry for a further 4 minutes until coloured and slightly softened.
4. Now add the vegetable stock, English mustard, bay leaf and chopped parsley (leave a little bit to one side for step 10).
5. Get the children to stir the ingredients together.
6. Bring the stock to the boil.
7. Add the baked beans to the pan and turn the heat down.
8. Place a lid on the pan and leave to simmer for approximately 1 hour.
9. Remove from the heat and place in your bowls.
10. Sprinkle with more chopped parsley and serve immediately.
We hope you and your grandchildren enjoy!