Things To Do
Chilli Con Carne with a Twist!Things To Do
posted March 24th 2019
A great meal for the whole family to enjoy, Chilli Con Carne has been a firm favourite on dinner tables up and down the country for years. This twist sees the use of chocolate in the recipe which gives a richness of flavour but can also help tone down the flavour of the chilli’s if your grandchildren find the traditional recipe a bit too hot.
This great recipe can be enjoyed with rice or jacket potatoes, it’s up to you.
You will need:
– 500 grams of minced beef
– 1 can of kidney beans
– 2 cans of chopped tomatoes
– 2 red peppers, de-seeded and chopped
– 1 onion, chopped
– 2 tbsp of tomato paste
– 2 red chilli’s, chopped
– 30 grams of dark chocolate, 70% cocoa
– Splash of oil
– Pinch of salt and pepper
– Fry the chopped onion in a pan with a splash of oil until it starts to soften.
– Add in the minced beef and cook until the meat starts to brown.
– Add the red peppers and continue to cook until the peppers start to soften.
– Drain the kidney beans and then add them, along with the tomatoes, tomato paste and chilli’s, to the pan.
– Simmer on a low heat for 30 minutes.
– Add in the chocolate and stir.
– Carefully pour the Chilli Con Carne in to a casserole dish or similar and place in the oven, gas mark 6/200 degrees celsius, for an hour.
– You are then ready to serve.