Things To Do
Christmas CrackersThings To Do
posted December 11th 2018
These Christmas crackers may not go bang, but they’re certainly packed with flavour! Whether you opt for rosemary and sea salt, chilli and fennel, or pesto and parmesan, these crisp, moreish crackers make the ideal Christmas snack for the whole family to enjoy!
- 6 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 300g (10oz) plain flour
For the rosemary and sea salt flavour
- 1 tsp milk
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
For the chilli and fennel flavour
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp treacle
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
For the pesto and parmesan flavour
- 1 tsp pesto
- 1 pellet of frozen spinach, defrosted, squeezed to remove excess moisture and finely chopped
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 4, 180°C, fan 160°C, then grease 3 large baking trays with olive oil.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour and a pinch table salt – the grandchildren will love doing this especially if they have their own wooden spoon for mising. Add the olive oil and stir with a fork. Gradually add 100ml (3 1/2fl oz) cold water while continuing to stir until it forms a ball of dough – it will feel quite dry at this point, but you will be adding more moisture with the different flavourings.
- Split the dough into 3 balls. Ask the grandchildren to make a dent into the middle of each ball with their fingertips. Put the milk and rosemary into the dent of one of the balls, bring the sides over and knead so the liquid is absorbed and the rosemary is evenly distributed. Repeat this kneading technique with the second ball of dough, adding the chilli flakes, treacle and fennel seeds. Repeat again with the third ball of dough, adding the pesto, spinach and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- Roll out each ball of dough on a lightly floured surface, making sure they are as thin as possible, and cut each into 14 rectangles measuring about 8 x 6cm. Transfer to the greased baking sheets. Sprinkle the sea salt flakes over the rosemary crackers and the parmesan over the pesto crackers. Bake for 12 minutes, or until crisp and golden. Cool on wire racks.
Enjoy your Christmas crackers!