Things To Do
Alternative Christmas PotatoesThings To Do
posted December 16th 2018
Did you know that many Australians choose to cook a Potato Bake as part of their Christmas dinner rather than the traditional roasties that we enjoy. Nanny Gail shares with us her recipe for these delicious potatoes that grace her dinner table each Christmas. Why not give them a try? Her granddaughter helps her with the preparation every year.
What you will need:
– 1 1/2 kg of potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
– 4 rashers of bacon, chopped
– 1 onion, chopped
– 1 garlic clove, crushed
– 2 tsp olive oil
– 1 packet of French onion soup
– 300ml thickened cream
– 1/2 cup of milk
– 1/2 cup of cheese, grated
– Pinch of cracked pepper
1) Preheat the oven to 200c.
2) Likely grease a baking dish.
3) Place the oil in a frying pan, heat and then sauté the bacon, onion and garlic in the pan.
4) Layer the potatoes in the baking dish, adding in the bacon/oil/garlic mix on each layer, as well as a sprinkling of the French onion soup.
5) In a large jug whisk together the thickened cream and milk and then pour over the potatoes.
6) Cover in foil and bake for an hour.
7) Remove the foil, sprinkly on the cheese and bake for a further fifteen minutes.
Serve immediately with your Christmas meats.