Things To Do
Valentine’s CookiesThings To Do
posted February 13th 2019
This Valentine’s Day, why not spend some time with your grandchildren baking some of these lovely heart-shaped cookies, they’ll make a great gift for mummy and daddy at the end of the day.
You will need:
- 340g butter
- 4 medium eggs
- 400g caster sugar
- 625g plain flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 125g icing sugar
- 100ml water
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter
To make them you will need to:
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter.
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract, sugar and ask your grandchild to stir.
- Then add 500g of flour but do this in stages, adding about 100g at a time, stirring continuously.
- Add the salt, stir and then add the baking powder.
- Slowly add the final 125g of flour into the cookie dough mixture
- On a lightly floured surface knead the cookie dough for a few minutes.
- Wrap the cookie dough tightly in cling film and put in the fridge to chill for an hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180c/gas mark 4.
- Remove the cookie dough from the fridge and sprinkle flour on the kitchen surface.
- Knead the dough until it’s pliable. If you think it’s still a bit sticky add some more flour and knead again.
- Roll out the cookie dough until it’s a few millimetres thick.
- Ask your grandchild to start cutting out the heart shapes using the cookie cutter.
- Place the heart shaped cookies on some baking paper on a baking tray
- Place in the over for about 10 minutes, until golden. NB This is a job for the adults.
- Whilst the cookies are cooling down you can start to make up the icing sugar. We have suggested white icing sugar but you could always add a drop or two of red food colouring to make a nice pink colour. Mix the icing sugar together with the water but be careful to add the water slowly.
- With a spoon add the icing sugar to each cookie and let the grandchildren add lots of sprinkles.